What do I do after a car wreck?

You’ve just been in a car wreck.  It’s your first time, and you don’t know what to do.  First and foremost, call 911.  If you are injured, get medical attention immediately.  If you are able, take pictures of your car and the other person’s car, and the whole scene of the car wreck (so that both cars can be seen in the pictures).  If you are not able to take pictures yourself, ask someone to do so.


As soon as possible after the car wreck, follow up with your primary care physician or a specialist for your specific injury(ies).  You should also contact an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as possible, so that you can have a guide to lead you through the process and advise you of your legal rights.  It is not a good idea to try and deal directly with the insurance adjusters on your own in a personal injury case – they are very clever, and have no real obligation to be transparent or honest with you about your case; an insurance adjuster’s primary job is to minimize the amount paid to you in your personal injury case.  Do yourself a favor and call a personal injury lawyer first, whether it is us or another reputable, experienced personal injury lawyer.


In most car wrecks, the injuries people sustain are referred to as “soft tissue” injuries.  This basically just means that there are no broken bones or more catastrophic injuries.  Still, soft tissue personal injuries can be very painful and severely annoying in your day-to-day living.  If not properly addressed, soft tissue injuries can provide a lifetime of pain and discomfort.  You have the right to have your injuries assessed by a doctor.  More importantly, you owe it to your health to see a doctor about persistent injuries, whether you have a civil case or not.  If you do not see a doctor within around two (2) weeks of your wreck, your personal injury case possibilities will be damaged – not seeing a doctor immediately is frequently interpreted by defense lawyers and juries as “you weren’t really hurt.”


In summary, after a wreck:

  1. Call 911
  2. Get medical attention
  3. Take photos (before you leave the scene if possible)
  4. Call Dyal Jenkins, or another reputable, experienced personal injury lawyer.


It’s always good to call a personal injury lawyer before you talk to insurance adjusters, and our initial consultations are free.  Make your first call the right call.  Dyal Jenkins.

Atlanta Area:
2302 Parklake Drive NE, Ste 581
Atlanta GA, 30345

Telephone :
(404) 919-7297
Northeast GA:
115 Heard St
Elberton, GA 30635

Telephone :
(706) 283-8240
Copyright © 2023 Dyal Jenkins - All Rights Reserved.
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram